BEAVER ISLAND ASSOCIATION
Beaver Island Association Mission & Programs:
1. Represent the combined interests of our membership on issues of mutual concern that affect the fundamental character of Beaver Island.
2. Work with local government units in support of property owners shared perspectives, concerns and investments by:
– Providing a forum for discussion of island governance and property taxes
– Representing membership concerns through township government liaison
3. Foster and support economic growth that is consistent with the preservation of the natural beauty of Beaver Island and the quality of life which is the reason for our original and continuing attraction to Beaver Island by:
– Advocating for environmental and economic sustainability
4. Support the preservation of the natural resources and beauty of Beaver Island and appropriate environmental conservation policies and/or methods by:
- Monitoring and controlling invasive species
- Cleaning up beaches and campgrounds
- Helping with forest fire prevention
- Provide environmental education programs
- Sponsoring public summertime lectures and presentations
- Publishing a semi-annual newsletter and continuously updated website
BEAVER ISLAND CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
Maps, guides, and tourist information year-around. Located on the grounds of the Municipal Marina just north of the ferry dock, the office is open year around M-F from 9:00 AM until 3:00 PM with extended hours during the busy summer season. We market Beaver Island and enjoy helping visitors enjoy it. Please call or email us with your questions or suggestions.
(231) 448-2505. View Home Page E-mail
BEAVER ISLAND COMMUNITY SCHOOL
Beaver Island Community School is a world-class Pre-K through 12 public school system located on the most remote inhabited island in the Great Lakes. BICS has a strong tradition of academic excellence and caring. The school follows a community-defined plan, 21st Century Learning on Beaver Island, to ensure that all students meet defined expectations. The school boasts a high teacher-to-student ratio, a music and art program, outstanding access to technology, and an intramural and interscholastic sports program. Students who graduate from BICS score higher than state and national averages on the ACT test and have been accepted into post-high school programs ranging from work placement, to community college to universities such as UM, MSU, Northwestern, Michigan Tech, GVSU, and CMU. (231) 448-2744. View Web Site E-mail
BEAVER ISLAND HISTORICAL SOCIETY
The Beaver Island Historical Society was founded in 1957 to collect and share the fascinating history of Beaver Island. Beaver Island has witnessed many interesting and unique historical events, and has been home to various groups including Native Americans, a Mormon branch known as the Strangites, Irish immigrants, fisherman, lumberjacks, and many more.
The Historical Society operates two museums on the Island, the Print Shop Museum and the Marine Museum, as well as two additional historical sites, Heritage Park and the Protar Home. We offer several resources and services to our visitors, including genealogical research, copies of archival photos, and a series of historical journals and other books for purchase. The museums are open daily in the summer and upon request year-around. Join us for Museum Week, July 17-23, 2016.
(231) 448-2254. View Web Site E-mail
BEAVER ISLAND DISTRICT LIBRARY
The Beaver Island District Library has served the community of Beaver Island and its many visitors for nearly 30 years. Library patrons and visitors enjoy an extensive and current catalog of print and multimedia resources, along with fax and copying services, WiFi, public computers, and a variety of programming for adults and children alike. (231) 448-2701 Find out more at our website or on Facebook. View Web Site E-mail
CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY BIOLOGICAL STATION
University Biological Station providing academic courses, field trips, and research logistical support for work on Beaver Island and in the Beaver Archipelago. (231) 448-2325. View Web Site E-mail
CHARLEVOIX COUNTY COMMISSION ON AGING
The Commission provides services, support, activities and education to all of the aging community in Charlevoix County including Beaver Island.
(231) 237-0103 View Web Site E-mail
The following organizations are not members of the Beaver Island Chamber of Commerce but are also listed for your information:
BEAVER ISLAND DISTRICT LIBRARY
Public library open year round. Story hour Wednesday mornings. Also offering interlibrary book search and Internet access.
BEAVER ISLAND EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES
BIEMS provides 24 hour Advanced Life Support coverage to the residents and visitors of Beaver Island. BIEMS is primarily staffed by all-volunteer Paramedics, Emergency Medical Technicians and Medical First Responders.
(231) 448-2578. Call 911 for Emergencies.
BEAVER ISLAND POST OFFICE
Unique village post office located in town. Friendly, conscientious service. (231) 448-2251.
BEAVER ISLAND SHERIFF OFFICE
(231) 448-2700. On-Island deputy, year-around. Call 911 for Emergencies.
BEAVER ISLAND TRANSFER STATION
Open May 1st-November 1st Monday to Saturday. November 1st to May 1st- 11-5. Closed Sundays and Holidays. Please use green bags for garbage, separate them in labeled boxes. ( Such as cans, plastic, glass, cardboard). Please put styrofoam and loose packing materials in plastic bags and tie shut. Thank you for helping keep the Island clean and green!
Solid waste and recycle center. Gaylords available. (231) 448-2228. Open year-round.
BEAVER ISLAND VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT
Well-equipped, professionally-trained, with a new 2nd station south of Hannigan’s Road. (231) 448-2595. Emergencies: 911
COUNTY ROAD COMMISSION
Maintaining Beaver Island’s roads. (231) 448-2285
231 – 448 – 2505